Saturday, June 02, 2012

So , the first time I made dishwasher soap it did not work very well. It cleaned the dishes, but they were cloudy. Got rid of that batch, tried again.
I used a recipe I found on Pinterest. I modified it however, but we have hard water. I used :
2 cups washing soda (NOT baking soda)
2 cups Borax
2 cups of rock salt (the original called for kosher salt, but the rock is cheaper, not as pretty , but that does not            affect the end product)
2 cups of Lemishine

mix it up and put it in an air tight container. Be prepared for it to become a solid chunk since the Lemishine attracts moisture, just break it up with a knife and use it that way, I use 1/8 cup per load unless it is really dirty. I use a coffee measure cup to scoop it out.

All of these ingredients can be found at Wal Mart. The Borax, Washing soda, and Fels Naphtha (use for home made laundry detergent) are found next to each other in the laundry area. The Lemishine is found by the dishwasher soaps.
The salt just depends on the time of year as to where that will be. Don't use table salt, for some reason it won't work as well.

If you are worried about using the borax or washing soda on your dishes, just read the ingredients on your dishwasher detergent box. The first two are the borax and soda. The last one says "enzymes", enzymes are the citric acid (limishine) and salt. At least that is what it says on the finish box which is what I have been using.

Have fun ,

No comments: